Monday, March 31, 2008

Pharmacy Staffs Can't Read Mind!

I worked the 4-11 shift tonight. Usually, truck day (where all the drugs ordered comes in) is today. But when I got there, the truck was a no show. On any given Sunday, everything would be put away by the time I get there. Today was not the case. So I spent half the time putting drugs away when it actually arrived.

Anyway, it was a slow day until a customer comes in for his refill of (insert ED drug here. Henceforth, the customer will be referred to as ED). Here's how the conversation happened albeit a few changes to not give away any potential reference.

Me: "Hi, may I help you, sir?"

ED: "Yeah, I'll like a refill for one."

[I'm like WTF. I can't read your God-damn mind. Oh wow, I just used the "lord name in vain". I can do it because I don't believe in G-o-d. It's just a normal part of my speech, however incorrect it may be. My excuse is that I'm ESL! Yeah, you would think that I'm going to Hell. But there isn't one! Back to topic, Cmon! Does he think I can read his mind.]

Me: "Okay, what's your last name?"

ED: "xxxxxxx".

Me: "And your first name?"

ED: "xxxxxxx."

Me: "Can you verify your birth date?"

[I ask this even if there's only profile comes u]

[I pulled ED's profile up and notice just the one ED drug, but I'll still ask:]

Me: "And what medication do you need refill, sir?"

[I'll rather be safe to make sure he's the person he's saying he is. At this point, I can see his body language saying "ain't it obvious". However, I can't and don't read mind. I treat every customer the same irregardless of what I see or able to infer from their profiles]

ED: (Insert ED drug)

Me: "And how many would you like?"

[At this point, he's really obvious about "You (meaning me) should know" kind of attitude and body language.]

What the hell, I must've slept through the class on Mind Reading as an undergrad. Some customers come in for 1 tablet, while other come in for 10 tablets or more. How am I suppose to know what he wanted. Yes, I can check his record for the last severals fills, but what if this time he wants 2 or 3. Without specifying, I wouldn't want to guess. There's another regular customer who only get 1 every time but I'll still ask 'how many' every single time.

This is just one example of how customers make it seem that the Pharmacy staffs can read their minds.

To be continued...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yep.. I do that too.. and get bitchy faces..

Pharm Barbie said...

I like to do that because if I "MIND READ" wrong then I'm the one who gets yelled at. The only people who I mind read are the 60 yr old people who get 20 meds.. and they all always get filled on the same day. Even then I still ask the full name and DOB. I don't care who they are, they should the name of the medication they are taking. If they don't even attempt to say it then I just look at them with a blank stare.. Not too many people like me.

Anonymous said...

I understand about most of the stuff, but as for the quantity, he did say at the beginning, a refill for one...

Cnuwin said...

That's not the point!

Anonymous said...

Recently I found College Information which offers both Associate of Occupational Studies and Associate in Applied Science degree programs. The programs of study are listed below, Business, Health Disciplines, and Criminal Justice Computer Technology. You can also Visit.

Anonymous said...

A refill means that you fill again what they had last time unless they ask for a different amount. Sound to me like you like to get up on your high horse because you are behind the counter and they are not....and before you start bitching that I don't know what I am talking about yes I am a tech, a CPhT (have been one for about 8 years now). There is this little thing called customer service...ever heard of it?

Anonymous said...

I believe that you are the one that needs to get off the high horse. IT IS pretty obvious within the definition of a refill that it WOULD be the same qty as their last fill. The point, no matter how old this post was, was that he came up to drop-off and just said, 'I like a refill for one'. Main point is...a refill for what MEDICATION now? Had I not ask, am I suppose to guess?